Tuesday, November 1, 2011

From The Stands: Mike Santee

Since I started the blog last Wednesday, I have rolled out the segments I plan on regularly doing one by one. This edition is no different. Once a week I am going to pick a Thunder fan to interview. Topics will range from memories, to rivals, and favorite players. For the first week I picked a fan who has one of the best memory banks of Thunder history of anyone I know. Mike Santee is a regular poster on the Thunder message board, he has been going to games since 1992. Here are a few of his memories, in a segment I am calling "From The Stands"

1. What is your first memory of Thunder Hockey?
My first memory of Thunder Hockey was watching training camp at the coliseum before the start of the 1992 season. My dad had been a huge Wichita Wind fan in the 80's and until the Thunder came to Wichita we would go to Kansas City for every one of the Kansas City Blades home games. We were so excited to have hockey in Wichita we could not wait for the season to start. I think my dad even signed me out of school early one day to go watch camp.

2. Who got you into going to Thunder games?
Easy answer. My parents. When we heard that hockey was coming to wichita we were in eager anticipation from that point on. I was raised a hockey fan and a Thunder fan. Hockey was like a 2nd religion in my family.

3. Who is your all time favorite Thunder player?
I would have to say Brent Sapergia. In my opinion probably the most talented and entertaining player to ever wear the Thunder jersey. He was also one of the craziest characters in franchise history with his on ice antics. To this day I still think he would hold every Thunder scoring record had he not spent so much time being suspended.

4. Who is your favorite non-Thunder player that played in the CHL?
There are a few, but Ryan Tobler is the first that comes to mind. I would have loved to seen him in a Thunder uniform. He was the complete package of everything you look for in a player. He could put up a ton of points. he could throw crushing body checks. and when he droped the gloves he was one of the top heavyweights in the league.

5. What is the best Thunder game you've ever been to?
Best Thunder game I have ever been to is hands down watching them win the championship at home in 1995. I was 10 years old and I remember I was so pumped and excited that I did not shut up about that for like a week.

Mike, I know your a huge fight fan, so here are a few questions pertaining to your love of the fisticuffs.

6. Who is the best pound for pound fighter you've watched in the CHL?
Stan Yanchishyn. He was not a very big guy but he would routinely take on guys much bigger than him and I don't believe I ever saw him lose a fight. He had one of the hardest lefts I have seen anybody throw. I remember when when he fought Kyle Scheen from Rapid City who was 6'3 220. In that fight he landed 4 lefts that buckled his knees big time. I also remember he broke Jay Birnie's nose.

7. Do you have a most memorable fight at a Thunder game?
My most memorable fight was the home opener of the 1993-1994 season brawl with the Tulsa Oilers. To this day I have never seen such chaos on thunder ice. I remember the Oilers were trying to jump the glass at the fans and that a few of them got some fist in the face from Thunder fans. They had to cancel the game with 13 seconds left in the 3rd. Of course the Thunder won.

8. Who is the most underrated Thunder fighter?
Ken Fels. He was on a team that was loaded with toughness. The Thunder that season had Kris Schultz, Bruce Ramsay, Jay Banach. Fels did not drop the gloves as much as them but I think without a doubt was the best fighter on that team. He threw punches like a jackhammer and landed almost every punch he threw. I remember one fight where he got the upper hand on Wade Brookbank who was considered the heavyweight champ of the league back then. If you ask most thunder fans to make a list of best fighters though I never hear his name mentioned much.

9. Who is your most hated player?
My most hated player was Brett Angel. Reason being is that he went out there and played to deliberately injure people. He would blindside and attack guys who were non fighters, run goaltenders. I remember at the end of the season he intentionally ran Pascal Bedard's head into the glass with and elbow and if I remember right they had to carry him off on a stretcher and he just skated off like nothing happened. Never have I seen a player that was attempting to cause major injury to other players with the frequency that he did.

And finally,

10. If you could go back and re-live any one memory from Thunder history, what would it be?
It was a road game in Tulsa at the end of the 01-02 season. We were way out of the playoff race and Tulsa was fighting for the last spot. Dallas Anderson always liked to run around, take cheap shots and start trouble and this game was no exception. He threw his gloves off and blindsided Rob McCaig. Before this game we had just re-signed John Hewitt who could barely skate but was as crazy as a pro wrestler when he fought. He came of the bench after Anderson and it was a full scale brawl. After the ruckus cleared a bit Anderson came out of the tunnel again with no sholder pads or jersey and went after Carlin Nordstrom. Nordstrtom worked him over pretty good. This changed the momentum of the game and we beat them 5-1. knocking them out of the post season.

My thanks to Mike for taking the time to answer a few questions and bring back some great Thunder memories.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment