Thursday, November 17, 2011

Chat's From The Bench: Travis (Pinball Wizard) Wight

The goal of the year last season may have come from a defense-man who only scored one goal all season. Travis Wight in a game against Missouri (As opposed to alternate names for the team from Independence) took the puck from the left faceoff dot, wrapped around the net, and roofed a wrist shot over Rob Nolan's shoulder. His only goal of the season was a gem that he tucked into such a little area. Which explains Travis in so many ways, he does the little things that help this hockey team out. He digs in the corners, he carries the puck into the zone, he chases down loose pucks, and he delivers some hits that makes opponents shudder.

Travis was kind enough to answer a few questions for me, in this week's Chat's From The Bench.


1. This is your second year in Wichita, what's your opinion on the city, the arena, and fans? Where are your favorite spots?

I really enjoy Wichita over the time I have been here. It is not too big and not too small, which I like. The arena is amazing! I would say that it is nicer than the MTS Centre where the Winnipeg Jets play and that is a NHL arena, so that speaks volumes. The fans are great also! I love their enthusiasm and their knowledge of the game. Everyone I have met so far in Wichita has been very friendly and welcoming. I enjoy going to Wasabi for sushi and the downtown area is very nice. We also have a lot of great sponsors this year to grab a bite to eat and a few pops like Fat Tony's, Twin Peaks, America's Pub, Biggins, etc. Also our membership at Genesis is great because I do enjoy working out.

2. Who influenced you most with your career?

My parents are my biggest influence in my career. My father coached me partially growing up so that was always nice. Actually it was very nice because he was very hard on me haha. We would skate the lines when we were younger and my dad didn't think I skated hard enough so he would make me do it again by MYSELF in front of the whole team! That is where I developed my work habits! Also my mother was always around as well to drive my brother and I to games and other hockey events. It is very admirable when parents put their children first and make such sacrifices because if it wasn't for that I would not have been playing hockey still.

3. Who was your favorite player growing up? And who do you model your playing style after?

My favorite player growing up was Patrick Roy of the Montreal Canadiens which is a little strange because I am a defenseman. I have always enjoyed goalies and playing goal in street hockey and that is why I think I enjoy blocking shots, or at least the ones that don't hurt!

4. Do you have any superstitions or rituals?

I would say I have more rituals than superstitions. Things do not have to go the exact same all the time but I try to keep the things I do on a game day fairly consistent. I always take a nap on games day and like showing up to the arena early. What I eat does not matter much; I change it up from time to time.

5. If you weren't playing hockey what would you be doing?

If I weren't playing hockey I believe I would be either teaching or coaching or both! My college degree is in education and it is something I am very passionate about. Teaching and coaching are hand in hand for me because we use the same traits in both. Also I help my Uncle on a grain farm in the summers so that is something I enjoys as well, except during harvest when I am on a swather for 15 hours!!!!! So either hockey, teaching or farming...very broad spectrum!!!!!

6. You've been a winner wherever you've gone. Talk to me a little bit about your championships in Idaho and at the University of Maine?

I have been very fortunate to play for good teams and with good players. Maine was a great experience for myself. We were in contention for National Championships each of my four years. I won a Hockey East title and lost in the NCAA final 1-0 in '04 year, lost in the NCAA semi-finals during my senior season in '06. My first professional season was in Idaho and I couldn't have asked for more! We won the Kelly Cup and it is a feeling I will never forget. That is very cliche, but true. I also won a championship in the Netherlands in Europe in 2009. That was an excellent adventure and gave me a chance to travel and play hockey.

7. What was it like playing Division 1 hockey, and especially at a place like Maine? Where was your favorite road trip in Hockey East play?

Division 1 hockey at Maine was a dream come true, once I learned about college hockey. Being from Canada I was not too familiar about college athletics since they are not as magnified in our country. As I grew into my teenage years I started to become more aware about American college and their offering of athletic scholarships. I accepted a scholarships to Maine in 2002 and it was a great 4 years. Being able to play hockey and obtain an education is a great thing! The partying wasn't bad either haha. My favorite road trip was to UNH which stands for the University of New Hampshire or as the Hemmingway brothers know it as the University of NO HARDWARE!!!! We had a great rivalry with UNH and the games were always heated and intense. Those are the games I looked forward to most.

8. What is your favorite on ice moment?

My favorite on ice moment would be winning a Provincial Championship as a peewee. I grew up in a very small town of about 100 people and had to play at the next town over because mine was too small. I played and went to school with the same guys my whole life and am still friends with them to this day. They are an extended family to this day and I see all 'the boys' every summer and they are hoping to make a trip to the 316 this season! Look out Wichita!!!!!!

9. You and your defense partner Daniel Tetrault deliver some bone crushing hits, do you have a hit that sticks out in your head as your favorite or most devastating?

First of all I hope Tetsy never hits me 'cause he's a big boy! It has been great playing with Tets since we have a similar style and we are both from Manitoba. I don't have any particular hits that stand out but we both know the games where we need to play very physical and we play at our best during those games.

10. You go to school here in Wichita, what are you studying and how much further do you have?

I am currently in the process of completing my Masters of Education at Newman University, and will graduate in December. It is just something that kind of just happened. I wanted to further my education and found a great opportunity at Newman. We do have a bit of free time playing hockey so it gives me an opportunity to complete my school work. Grad presents are optional, but grad parties are essential so readers please try not to throw grad parties on game days since I will not be able to attend!

Thanks for the questions! It was a lot of fun and a great opportunity to reveal a bit about myself. I would like to thank the Thunder fans and the community for their support of myself and our team!

My thanks to Travis for providing a great and entertaining interview!


The Thunder look to build on their 8-2 record this weekend by playing a home and home with Tulsa. Tulsa who currently holds a 6-4-1 record, beat Wichita in Tulsa 4-3 last Sunday. Tulsa is three points back of first place Wichita in the Berry conference.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment