Friday, November 11, 2011

Chat's From The Bench: Brett Hemingway

Coming into this season, if any Thunder fan had ever heard of Brett and Colin Hemingway it was either through a box score or through passing hockey conversations. None of us had ever seen this brotherly scoring duo, nor knew what they were capable of. If you didn't know prior to this season you now know! Brett Hemingway leads the team through seven games in scoring, notching three goals and six assists. Thunder fans first got a glimpse of what the brotherly tandem could do in the first game of the season. Travel back with me and we sit in the sixth round of the shootout on opening night against Rapid City, when Coach McClelland sends out Brett Hemingway to try and close the game out. Brett skates toward the left circle and with one quick snap shot gives Wichita the win. Now seven games into the season Brett has two game winning goals, and whether he is setting up his older brother Colin or any other Thunder skater, the Surrey native has made his presence felt. I was able to catch up with Brett recently in this weeks "Chat From The Bench"

1. So far, what's your opinion on Wichita, the arena, and fans? Do you have any favorite spots?

Love it here in Wichita. We have an amazing arena and the fans to go with it. The crowd has been great through the first few games of the season and I'm sure they will continue to be. As for favorite spots I would say the golf course that we play at, and there are so many great places to go here its tough to pick a favorite.

2. Who influenced you most with your career?

I would say my family has been the biggest influence in my career. From my parents getting me into hockey and all the early morning practices they have been amazing. Both my older brothers played hockey growing up so of course I wanted to be like them. We would play road hockey seemed like everyday after school. Then seeing how Colin was succeeding with hockey, getting a scholarship, drafted, playing pro, it was definately something I tried to accomplish myself.

3. Who was your favorite player growing up?

Favorite player growing up was Mario Lemieux.

4. Do you have any superstitions or rituals?

Not many superstitions, just keep my routine of eating at the same time and making sure my sticks are all taped perfectly.

5. If you weren't playing hockey what would you be doing?

If I wasn't playing hockey I would like to be a pro poker player or golfer. But I know if that were the case I wouldn't be too successful so I guess I'm glad I have hockey.

6. What is it like being able to play with your brother?

It's great being able to play on a hockey team with your brother. We are very close and to be able to play pro together is awesome.

7. Playing into the last question, is there a friendly rivalry with your brother? And if so who's better?

If you ask either of us I'm sure you will get different answers on who is better. We don't see it as a rivalry but rather we both love to see the other succeed.

8. What is your most memorable goal scored?

Most memorable goal scored would probably be my first ever pro goal, I was in Albany and it was my second pro game and I was able to put one in, I'll remember that forever.

9. What is your most memorable game played in?

Most memorable game played might be the same game, or maybe my first pro hat trick last year with the Belfast Giants. I have been in a few championship games but have come out on the wrong end so I'm still hoping for the most memorable game.

10. What made you decide to play in Wichita this year?

I decided to play in Wichita this year because I was told by a few current players that this was the place to be. The rink, fans, coach, players, and town is second to none. Just being married this summer we thought it was the right fit for us and so far it has been just that.

I gave Brett the chance to drop in a few words to the fans and this is what he had to say.

"I just would like to thank all the fans for their continued support and hopefully we can bring a championship back here to Wichita this season."

My thanks to Brett for taking the time to answer a few questions.


Tonight the Thunder embark on the second game in a series of four games in five days. Wednesday at home brought a 5 to 3 win against Rapid City. Tonight Quad City comes to town with a 3-3 record with 21 goals for and 21 goals against. This is not a game for the thunder to take lightly. Even though the Mallards sit at .500 right now, they have still managed to average 3.5 goals per game. Goaltending and special teams will prove important in their last game at home in a four in five day span.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment