Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Chat's From The Bench: Matt Summers

Down 0-3 in the third period to the Allen Americans in the second game of the season, Matt Summers sent home a juicy rebound to breathe life into the Intrust Bank Arena crowd. His first goal of the season started a third period comeback that has rarely been seen in Wichita. The Thunder scored three goals in a 4:09 time span and won their second straight game. If there has been one thing about Matt Summers that I have noticed all year it has been his stick on the ice, drive the net playing style. Call it what you want, but those are the things that separate winning hockey clubs from mid-level or losing clubs. You have to do the dirty work, and that's what Matt brings to this team. Today Matt was named the Central Hockey League's Player of the Month. I was able to catch up with him for this weeks Chat From The Bench.

1. So far, what's your opinion on Wichita, the arena, and fans? Do you have any favorite spots?
I like Wichita a lot so far on and off the ice and really looking forward to the rest of whats to come. The arena is the nicest I've played in and it's sure nice to be on the team that plays out of it. The fans have been non stop energy boosters , I'm not a energy drink or any of that kind stuff kinda guy but if I was I wouldn't need them anymore, all you need is the skates an stick to play hard for theses fans.

2. Who influenced you most with your career?
My family has been my biggest influence, Dad and Mom and three siblings that have rooted me on the whole way, and my sister and both brothers all play hockey as well so there was some intense basement , road hockey, and backyard rink games growing up making each other better.


3. Who was your favorite player growing up?
My favorite player growning up was Steve Yzerman , a great player and leader for the Detroit Red Wings which is also my favorite team after the North Stars left Minnesota.

4. Do you have any superstitions or rituals?
I like to do the same stretching and stick handling before every game and put my equipment on left to right, and have to tape my stick before every period .



5. If you weren't playing hockey what would you be doing?
If I wasn't playing hockey I would be playing baseball, a teacher, or running a small town hockey shop.


6. This is your fifth year in the CHL, what was it like playing in front of Wichita fans as a member of the opposing team? And 7. What was the best on ice chirp you've heard?
I'm gonna answer 6 and 7 together. It's hilarious. It was pretty tough playing against Wichita the last few years.  I got a concussion at the old rink and I was pretty out of it and one of the fans which I am friends with him now, says "Hey Summers is that a zit on your neck?" long pause, "OR SIX OF THEM?" I had some acne at the time so that's the best chirp I've heard during a hockey game. Me and my team had some good laughs about it on the bus ride home.

8. What is your most memorable goal scored?
Most memorable goal was in double overtime against the Colorado Eagles in game 4 of semi-finals, we were down 5-0 in first period, and MAC was the coach.

9. What is your most memorable game played in?
Most memorable game played in was my last home game in junior for the OCN Blizzard in The Pas, Manitoba.

10. What made you decide to play in Wichita this year?
When I became a free agent this summer, when my old team in Mississippi moved leagues, I was really hoping that Coach Mac would call me, cause I've played against him the last four years and have always respected him as a coach and wondered what'd be like to play for him, I've heard lots of good things about him.

When asked if he had anything to the say to the fans, Matt had this to say "All I got to say to the fans is don't change a thing, we love ya."

My thanks to Matt for taking the time to chat with me.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment