Wednesday, November 9, 2011

From The Stands: Mark Bailey

This week's from the stands interview come's from a fan, who not only is a close friend of mine, but causes havoc every single home game from about eight rows up in section 116. I have known Mark Bailey for over four years now, and Mark may arguably be the most intense Thunder fan I know. We have road-tripped, training-camped, and tailgated. But nothing compares to Mark standing 3 feet away from a player and telling them their hair looks like it was washed with a "dirty pork-chop". I sat down with Mark to ask him a few questions for the blog recently, and here is the mind blowing insight that Mark had to share.


1. What is your first memory of Thunder Hockey and who got you into going to Thunder games?

My first memory of Thunder hockey, was back when I was in Elementry School, we went to a game for a field trip back when they had "kids day" games in the mornings. I remember having such a good time, that when I got home, I told my mom and dad that I wanted to go back. So my dad took me back the next week, and we had such a good time that we kept going back to all the home games we could. So to answer question number two, I would have to say me.

2. Who is your all time favorite Thunder player?

There are a lot of players that I could list, but Jim McGeough, he was just a fire ball, who was all over the ice, doing the little things to win games, that most people dont notice.

3. Who is your favorite non-Thunder player that played in the CHL?

I would say Chris Brassard, who played for Bossier. He was just such a solid all around player that I would have loved to seen play for Wichita becuase he always killed us when we played them.

4. What is the best Thunder game you've ever been to?

Back in the late 90's we played I believe it was Indianapolis. The game had fights everywhere, and lasted around 4 hours. By the time the game was over, the other team had 6 or so players, and one of their regular skaters, had to dress as goalie because both or their regular netminders had been kicked out of the game. The Thunder won too!

Mark, I know you have done your fair share of heckling, so here are a few questions pertaining to your ability to get under opposing players skin.

5. Who is your favorite player, past or present to heckle?

I'd say Colt King. He was very easy to get fired up. I remember several times back at the old barn, when he was playing for Rocky Mountain, and he would be standing on the bench yelling at all of us with his back turned to the play.

6. What is your most memorable experience heckling? How'd it start and what happened?

Easy question, heckling Traci Egland who was the head coach for Rocky Mountain, and having him try to jump the glass to get to me. It all started making fun of his hair cut, which was rather weird. After making several jokes about it, he looked back and said "have you seen my wife, she like its". Well needless to say that a joke was made based on his comment, and he tried jumping the glass and coming after me.

7. Who was the best at chirping back?

Chris Brassard was the best at chirping back. He never took anything we said to heart, and always came back with some pretty funny things.

8. What was your best one liner?

I can't really take credit for this one, because Grant was the first person I heard say this. Several times you will see a play get a new stick for whatever reason, if they don't like the feel of the other one or what not. Well we simply reply "It's not the sticks fault you suck"

And Finally,

9. If you could go back and re-live any one memory from Thunder history, what would it be?

I really don't have just one game that I would like to go back and re-live. I was never fortunate enough to see us win a championship back in the early 90's, but wanting to see us win a Championship is at the top of my list. I just think that would be the best feeling ever.

My thanks to Mark for taking the time to answer a few questions for me.

This week poses what maybe one of the toughest five days in the Thunder's schedule. Two games at home in three days, tonight against Rapid City and Friday against Quad City. And then two more games on the road in Missouri and Tulsa. The combined record for these four teams is 18-8-3 with 102 goals for and 81 goals against. These will not be easy games to say the least. As I mentioned in a previous entry, special teams will be key. The Thunder must continue last games success on the power play in order to control games. Are eight points this week possible yes, are they going to come easy, not in the slightest bit.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment