Thursday, December 15, 2011

Chat's From The Bench: Chris Greene

Since making his arrival after a trade that sent fan favorite Tyler Liebel to Arizona, Chris Greene has given up blood, sweat, and instead of tears, a few black eyes and swollen jaws to become a new fan favorite in Wichita. The gritty all-around center-man made his presence known from game one in Wichita during the 2007-2008 season. Delivering an energy and speed that was rarely seen during the twenty win season. Now entering his fourth season with the Thunder the proud upstate New York native has continued to deliver the same bone crushing hits and energy on the ice, and fan-first mentality off the ice that has turned him into a fan favorite not soon to be forgotten. Chris was generous enough to answer a few questions for me in this week's chat from the bench. 

1. This is your fourth year in Wichita, what is your opinion on the city, fans, and arena? And do you have any favorite spots around town?

I love the city of Wichita. It's a lot different from back home in NY. That's why I think I enjoy it here so much. The people are extremely kind around here too, which makes it easier and more enjoyable. The INTRUST Bank Arena is incredible. It is the best rink in the league, hands down! If I'm out around town I'm usually at Emerson Biggins (West) or if I venture downtown I like The Pumphouse. 


2. Who influenced you most with your career?

I would say my parents influenced me the most. They did anything and everything to make sure I was playing sports and having fun doing them.


3. Who was your favorite player growing up?

My favorite player growing up was Mark Messier. Go Rangers!


4. Do you have any superstitions or rituals?

I have a lot of superstitions and rituals. Especially on gamedays. My biggest superstition are that I eat chicken and pasta every gameday.


5. If you weren't playing hockey what would you be doing?

If I weren't playing hockey I'd probably be playing baseball. 


6. Over your career what has been your most memorable on ice event?

My most memorable on ice event would have to be when I served as a replacement in the All-Star game in Colorado.


7. Over your time in Wichita you've done it all. Scored goals, made bone crushing hits, and even thrown in a few fights? Explain your playing style and what you try and bring to the ice every night.

Well my style isn't the prettiest, but I'd say I am an energetic, hard working forward.Not a big time goal scorer, but pitch in when I can. Try and pride myself as a 2-way player. The easiest way to explain my game is hard work.


I want to talk about the Missouri Mavericks for a little bit. 

8. You were involved in a hit by Mike Wakita in Missouri earlier this year. Can you talk about the play, what led up to it, and your overall thoughts on the hit? 

Yea. Well, I went in on the forecheck and hit Wakita in the corner. A clean hit. He wasn't too happy about it, so he chased me down and caught me with a good punch. Hitting and fighting, and taking punches are part of the game. So you try not to take anything too personal.


9. The next game against Missouri, Erick Lizon fought Mike Wakita twice in the game. What did it mean for your team to stick up for you like that, and play 
such an inspired game? And to follow up, talk about the general feel in the locker room building up and during that game?

It means a lot, The team and the boys are like your family away from home. Consider each other like brothers. The general feeling in the locker room was intense. The boys were ready to go out there and battle. And we showed it!

And lastly,

10. What made you decide to play in Wichita again this year?

What made me come back to Wichita was the organiztion. I really like playing for Coach Mac. He makes you want to play your best and you want to play your best for him and the boys. I also like Wichita the city, and of course the fan base. Best fans in the Central Hockey League!

When asked if he had anything to say to the fans, Chris had this to say.
 
I would like to thank all the fans for their support and loyal following. Us players love coming out of the locker room to everyone shouting and cheering. It is a really great feeling. I will say it again, and always will. We have the best fans in the league! 

My thanks to Chris for taking the time to chat.


The Thunder have had an up and down week. After holding two goal leads in games against Texas and Allen, Wichita could not keep the leads and ended up losing both games. Coming home proved to be just what the doctor, or in the Thunder's case the meteorologist, ordered. Do you see what I did there? Thunder/Meteorologist. I digress. The Thunder were able to hold a lead and even come from behind and keep a lead in wins against both Texas and Fort Wayne. The Fort Wayne game sticks out to me the most though. Nick Boucher, Komets goal tender, currently has the most wins and the best goals against average in the league. And while they scored on one power play, the Thunder did a good job killing off the other three Komets man-advantages. Three games in Three days, including a Sunday six hour bus ride to Texas will test this team. They are at the end of a long stretch of games, and need to not let off the gas in these next three games. Six points are at stake (or steak) in the next three days. We aren't five games into the season anymore, every game counts, and as I have mentioned in blogs past, a six point difference in the standings can be the difference between first and fifth. This year though, fifth gives you an early tee time.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment